Happy Saturday everyone!!
I hope you’re having a fun weekend.
I’m very happy because I’ve been able to get Rui hooked up on Outlander and to watch the first episode of The Handmaids Tale. He is really hooked up on the show and has watched about 8 episodes without me, the bastard. Now he’s annoying because he remembers all the little details that I have forgotten because I’ve watched the first season in 2015 or something like that. The stupid thing is, I’ve been telling him he would love the show for years. So he’s been missing out.
The Mister is making dinner while I blog.
We’ll technically be on vacation until the 16th (I say technically because we’re not doing anything special. We want to go to the beach but the wind has been absolutely crazy. Only today we’ve had about four seasons in one day. It rained, there was a little cold a fog, and now it’s sunny but still so damn windy. I love where we live, but we have this sort of micro-climate, always different from the rest of the country and unexpected. I don’t really mind if it’s humid or raining or suddenly super hot, but the wind (the strong wind) really gets on my nerves. My poor plants have to shake it off all day long and they don’t even know Taylor Swift.
We have a few things to get done before our vacation is over. They’re mostly things that Rui can do and I probably can’t. Our outside (patio) walls need some work and a few coats of paint. Our fences need to be changed and our gate needs to be fixed. We’re also probably power washing the outside walls, windows and shutters with the pressure washer we have just bought. Some trees need trimming as well and I need to move some plants. We have washed our living room rug but the one we have in our bedroom (which is bigger and heavier) is yet to be cleaned. These are things we usually take care of together, every Summer.
After he goes back to work, I have my own big to-do list to tackle before my the school year begins at September 1st. Actually, school doesn’t officially start between the 8th and the 13th of September, but I go back to work on the 1st.
Yesterday, I’ve bought the books I’ll need for my 8th and 9th grade tutoring. I might occasionally need to deal with older students (10th-12th) but I’ve got tonnes of material for those grades, as I’ve worked with them more often.
I’ve got my work schedule, which is great because I like to be prepared in advance. My hours will be:
- Monday, Thursday and Friday – 5 p.m to 7 p.m;
- Tuesday – 5 p.m – 8 p.m;
- Wednesday – 2.30 p.m – 7 p.m;
- When the kids are on school break: Monday – Friday from 10 a.m to 1 p.m;
I’m really lucky because this schedule really works for me.
I also have two birthdays coming up. Two of my best friends have their birthdays in August. Alison on the 15th and Catarina on the 20th.
My to-do list – From August 16th to August 31st:
School and work
- Study for the 3 exams I need to take in September to finish my degree in Languages, Literature and Cultures with a Major in North American Studies and a Minor in English. Sadly, I’m not able to take the 4 exams I need to take my second minor in History. The exams will be between September 5th and 7th and they are: Business English (I can do this one with my eyes closed, two broken arms and in a coma), Italian A 2 (I might be able to do this one with just one good eye and two broken arms, while juggling glasses) and North American Cinema (for this one I need to study my ass of because I have about 200, 475, 973 pages to read). I need to remember the sign up date which is from August 28th to August 31st.
- Do some revisions and prepare material for my 8th and 9th grade kids. I haven’t taught Portuguese grammar since last year and I always need some revision. Sadly (or proudly) I know every single English grammar rule by heart but I can’t say the same about my own language.
- Get the works of fiction and poetry they kids will be studying (Hello, Camões) because I don’t have all of them. I may need to borrow some from my sister and find others online.
- Make a list on all the books I have lent to old students and ask them to return them to me. There’s a bunch of people out there with my books.
- Return all of the ficking books I have from about 4 ficking libraries. I’m late and the old librarians will kick my butt.
- Buy a pencil-case!! (exciting)
- Maybe wash my work bag? Maybe.
- Get Rui to format my PC and then organize it.
- Take care of some social security/tax documents.
- I should probably get a school year planner instead of my yearly one.
So, this is part one. I might have forgotten something but I’ll remember it at some point.
What else is new?
- I’m almost finished with Upstairs, Downstairs.
- I stopped taking my birth control pill (not trying to get pregnant) because I realized it was responsible for some weight gain and liquid retention.
- I’ve been doing some extra online work.
- I’ve been working on our magazine “Bumblebee Magazine”.
That’s it for now, dearest friends.
We’ll talk tomorrow, pinky promise.
What do you really must get done before September?